Create a Native Mobile App for Your ChurchPosted at August 27, 2014
Have you ever watched your own patterns when you use your smartphone? How much time do you spend inside dedicated apps, vs. opening up your phone’s browser and tapping in the URL of a Website?
More and more, users are becoming reliant on apps to give them the information and utilities they need. This is true in the news, finance, sports, media, and entertainment genre.
It’s also true when it comes to faith and spirituality.
Your Church, Now an App Developer?
Consider some reasons to have a true mobile app for your own church:
- Everything is going mobile. It should be no secret by now that your congregation lives, breathes, and spends massive amounts of time on their mobile devices. Apps like Glo Bible and YouVersion have revolutionized the way that people read and interact with the Bible. Should the church be engaged in this trend as well? Does being relevant include delivering the Gospel message in the means of the day? We think so. See I Corinthians 9:19-23.
- Facilitate online giving. Donors appreciate convenience. This isn’t just a theory; it’s proven. When we offer easy ways for people to give, without requiring multiple clicks, passwords, or complicated screens, they will give. More… and More frequently.
- Adapts to phone or tablet. Our mobile apps are written with native code for iPhone, iPad, and Android. During our setup process, we’ll work with you to gather the proper size images and icons so that your information looks beautiful on any screen (including retina and better-than-retina resolution devices).
- Better experience for listening/watching sermons. You can listen to sermons and watch them on the Web, or via Vimeo/YouTube. But what if you get a phone call or you need to put the phone down and come back later? This can be a real problem with in-browser media viewing. A better idea is to use a true mobile app, which supports pausing and resuming. It also opens up some better tools for social sharing, grouping media by series, and providing a more functional layout for true touch-style media browsing.
- Manage it all from one place. One of the big benefits of using a SiteOrganic Touch app is that we make the app pull most of its information from your Website. For example, when you add a sermon to your Website, it automatically shows up in your app too! Same thing for calendar events, social media posts, blog posts, and more. The idea is to help you cover an important platform like mobile smartphones/tablets, without having to add a lot of extra work.
If you’ve been thinking about adding a mobile app to your online ministry, you should know that it takes several weeks to get the whole thing up and running. Most of this time is in the planning and image creation phase. Then, we wait for Apple to approve the app in the store (this time varies).
Check with our SiteOrganic Sales Team to find out the current lead times, and explore the possibilities of what a mobile app could mean for your church!