Report: State of Social MediaPosted at October 24, 2011
We Americans are a social bunch. Well, at least online. In person, we apparently do nothing but look down and stare at our smartphones.
That’s what the results show in Nielsen’s new report, published last week. Their snapshot for Q3 2011 shows some interesting findings:
- Women view more video if it’s on social media sites or blogs, but men stream more overall video online.
- Tumblr has tripled its audience size in the past year.
- Adults who are active on social network sites are 12% more likely to shop online.
- New England has more social network traffic than any other region of the U.S.
- 3% of social network visitors are accessing the sites via gaming consoles (really?)
- Users in the 55+ age bracket grew 109% on social network sites in the past year (the most of any group, by far).
Churches should be paying attention to these trends. We are in the business of reaching people, and studies like this one are telling us where the people are going.
What changes are you making in your church over the next 12 months, as a result of these trends?